- Both will tone your body, with a focus on abdominals.
- Have a mind / body focus which requires concentration on movement.
- Will increase your flexibility and range of motion
- Help your body's alignment.
- Encourage you to focus on breath.
- Yoga is typically practiced on a mat or on a comfortable surrounding e.g., the beach.
Pilates can be practiced on a Pilates machine or a mat.
- Yoga classes are typically 60-90 minutes.
Pilates classes are typically 60 minutes.
- Yoga has a more of a body / spiritual focus.
Pilates has more of a body / physical health focus.
- Yoga will increase your sense of well-being, and can meditationally reduce stress.
Pilates will strengthen your "core", e.g., your abs, torso, lower spine, and will help you develop long and lean muscles and will physically reduce stress.
- Yoga will help you learn to control your breath.
Pilates will help you learn to better control your posture.